Pages

Quilted Christmas stocking tutorial

Wednesday, September 23, 2015


 I made a stocking yesterday for grandson Connor who's due in December and I love how it turned out. A handmade stocking is a gift of love that is sure to be treasured. I love that it looks like it's more complex than it is. You would think this takes hours but I did it in an hour and a half!This would make a great beginner sewing project and the tutorial is so well written and includes photos for each step. You have plenty of time to make one for everyone in the family if you want. The only thing I would add as advice is if you choose a fabric with graphics like the snowman fabric, make sure you place them so that once the stocking is sewn shut their heads aren't getting chopped off. Place them in the middle or on a large area like the toe but not too close to the edge. Also keep in mind after you trim your batting with the strips sewn on she has you cutting an inch off the top of it. See how my piecing looked before trimming?
I lost the sliver of peppermint fabric on top and the cardinal below it. Of course after seam allowance I lost 1/4 in around the entire edge. That's why I advise keeping those images away from the very top or too close to the edge. Here's the awesome tutorial  http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2012/11/christmas-stocking-tutorial.html  Happy sewing! Blessings, Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment